Yesterday was a good day in the garden
It inspired my to make one of my standby summer recipes
Oven roasted veggies, you can do this recipe with
squash, zucchini, broccoli, califlower, carrots......
Since I pick lots of squash I used squash this time
1. Chop veggies into bite size chunks
2. Toss into a bowl
3. Drizzle with about 3 T olive oil
4. Salt and Pepper to taste
5. Mix together
6. Pour onto a pan
7. Cook at 400 for 50min., stirring once in the middle
You may need to adjust time for different veggies, you are looking for them to be lightly carmelized
at this point you can cool them, flash freeze them and then bag them up to use later or go ahead and use them as a side dish or in pasta or soup.
Since I have been smelling the squash roast all day there was no way that I was not going to use it.
So I decided to make my Summer Pasta.
The great thing about this pasta is that you can make it quick and use up any leftovers you may have.
I started by putting these two to work
taking the leaves off of the basil, so I can make my Pesto (recipe here)
Okay, thes are my gardening clothes so don't laugh. Please tell me your kitchen looks like this when you are doing lots of cooking, notice my messy floor (I am not a neat cook)
Once the Pesto is made start the pasta
1. Cook what ever pasta you have on hand, cook until firm
2. Brown meat (I am using smoked sausage, but anything works)
3. After meat is browned add whatever roasted veggies you are using
4. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to deglaze pan
5. Add strained pasta
6. 4 T pesto and another 1/4 cup of pasta water
Mix and serve