Last week when I first showed you my mantel and told you I made our new stockings,
several of you had questions about the stockings.
So, I thought I would give you a quick run down of what I did --
plus show you the little extra bit of love I have added to them since you last saw them.
I am not doing a full tutorial on how to sew them--TRUST ME--
when I tell you I have to concentrate when I am sewing and it has been many, many years since I learned to sew (I was 16, lets not talk about how old I am now, PLEASE). I have forgot what things are called and why you do them,
I just do them because I remember somewhere, sometime, someone telling me to.
So here it goes, I will start out a little backwards but that is how I do things.
I used a cream colored sheet that I had and was no longer using on a bed to make the cuff at the top of my husbands stocking. I just used the top part of the sheet and let the sheet maker do all the work on making nice edges, then I added some wooden buttons for a masculine detail. For my stocking and the girls I cut circles out of the same sheet and also a shear drape I had in my stash. I layered the circles and used my needle and tread to sew in small tucks to give it a "flower like" effect. them added fancy buttons to the centers.
My stocking has the biggest button in the center so that it would be a tiny bit different from the girls.
I made the stockings by cutting a form out of poster board and the tracing it onto my fabric (another leftover drape, that I was not using)
I also traced it onto the same cream colored sheet, to use as a lining for my stockings.
I cut all the pieces out and pinned everything together and sewed around the edges, turned it right side out and folded in the top and hem stitched it. I added cream colored ribbon as loops for the stockings to hang by and called it a day.
I was very pleased with the results but there was still one small problem,
HOW WAS SANTA GOING TO KNOW WHICH STOCKING BELONGED TO WHICH GIRL
My stocking was clearly marked with the bigger button in the center
but theirs were exactly the same,
I decided I needed letters to hang from each of their stockings to solve this problem,
but after looking several places I could not find any that I liked.
That is when I decided to take matters into my own hands!!!!
I grabbed two different necklaces I have, that have been broken for years and just shoved in a bag waiting for me to find something to do with them. and some thin wire I have had from another project.
I cut a couple of strands from each of the necklaces and got busy stinging the beads onto the wire.
When I had enough beads on the wire I shaped the wire into the letters I needed.
Now Santa should have no problem.
I was very pleased with the result but even more pleased that I had everything already!!
BTW, Casey if you still need letters I have tons of wire and beads leftover.
Remember if you want a chance to win this cute bag from Bag Full of Posies
Come link you Christmas cards up to my 1st Annual Christmas Card Link Party