If you haven't read Part 1 of the Making of a Desk go read it so you will be caught up.
Once again I will keep this as simple as possible and hope that it helps you with projects of your own.
-It might be hard to tell but I painted the insides of the open cabinets green, and started playing around with what I might like in them.
-We reattached the doors
-You can see the difference in the old paint and the new here
-The sides were in rough shape and we knew they would need help
-This side had a gap, we had to fill in with plywood to make the sides even
-We chose to cover the sides with bead board to add some charm,
I have loved the idea of hanging bead board horizontally since seeing it in my friend Kelly's house.
-Added crown molding to the top
-We finished the corners with trim
-The edges did not meet up with the wall here, so we encased it with shoe mold trim
-This gave it a more finished look
-I knew I wanted to use trim to make "boxes" on the front of the doors
-We drew out where the trim would go with a pencil
-Cut trim pieces to size and used a finish nailer to attach
-I knew I wanted a self in the middle for extra storage, so we cut a board to size and used brackets (purchased from Lowe's) to hold it up
-To give it a balanced look we also used a bracket at each end
-You can also see where we got inspired and add a piece of trim around the side of the desk top to match the trim on the front of the cabinets
-Fill in all nail holes and gaps with wood filler
There you have it...
That is how we got from here
This whole project cost around $200
not bad for a custom desk.
I hope this inspires you to try something at your house.